Financial Support

What is meant by 'Financial Support'?

Financial support generally refers to benefits or money from the Government to help people with health conditions, disabilities, those on a low income and those unable to work.

Having a long-term lung condition might make it difficult for you to work or work full-time and you may have additional expenses related to your condition. A partner, friend or family member may also lose income because they are helping to look after you without being paid. Benefits are designed to help with the costs of living for you and your carer. They can release some of the financial pressure you might be facing on top of living with a lung condition.

How do I know if I can get Financial Support?

Navigating the benefits system can be hard, especially if you have not done it before, but there are organisations that can make it easier for you.

Having a lung condition does not automatically mean you will be entitled to benefits. Any financial support you receive will depend on how your lung condition affects your care or mobility needs, your ability to work and any income you do have. Some of the benefits will refer to being disabled, you might not think of yourself as having a disability, but if your lung condition limits what you can do then you may still be entitled to these benefits.

An independent benefits calculator will help you find out:

  • What benefits you can claim for
  • How to claim
  • How your benefits will be affected if you start work

The Asthma + Lung UK helpline and Citizens Advice can also give you general information on claiming benefits.

What types of Financial Support are available for people with lung conditions?

There are a few different benefits that you may be eligible for if you have a lung condition that affects your income:

If your lung condition was caused by work you have done or conditions you were working in you may be entitled to compensation.

You might also be able to get help with additional costs such as prescriptions and heating.

If you are struggling with debts, you can get advice on debt solutions from Citizens Advice.or charities like StepChange.

If you are unsure what financial support is meant for you, you can seek advice from Citizens Advice or Asthma+ Lung UK.

What about Carers?

If you care for someone for at least 35 hours a week and the person you care for receives a disability benefit, attendance allowance or Personal Independence Payment (PIP), you may be entitled to a Carer’s Allowance.

If you care for someone for at least 20 hours a week you may be entitled to Carer’s Credit. You will automatically receive Carer’s Credit if you get a Carer’s Allowance, or child benefits for a child under the age of 12. Carer’s Credit is a national insurance credit. So, if you have to stop work because you are caring for someone, your national insurance contributions will still be paid and you will keep your ability to qualify for the state pension.

More help and advice for carers is available on our Support for Carers page.